From:
Carole Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2014 09:06:43 -0700

Hi Amanda,

We create records for both the object and its parts in TMS. We use the Object Type and Object Level fields to control how we report our object information.

All records get a Level 1 entry which will have an Object Type of either whole or group. Whole would be a single painting or drawing and group would be a pair of lidded vases, group of seven photographs and one portfolio or a tea service.

In the case of the tea service we would create a Level 1 group record.  Next would be Level 2 whole records for the tea pot, cup and saucer, etc.  Finally, we would create Level 3 part records one for the lid and pot, another for the cup and saucer, etc.

In the case of seven photographs and one portfolio, we would create a Level 1 group record with a title of Seven photographs and one portfolio.  Next would be eight Level 2 whole records, one for each photograph, and one group record for the portfolio.  Finally, we would create "x" number of Level 3 whole records for each print in the portfolio.

In all of these cases we use the hierarchy to link the records to together Level 1 "parent" record will have Level 2 "child" records, Level 2 "parent" records will have Level 3 "child" records.  We only go to 4 levels.  This is very useful for reporting since we can walk either up or down the hierarchy to pull in the data from a "parent" or "child" record.

Also, our numbering system is such that it is easy to query for the set of records.  The tea service would be 2014.1, the tea pot would be 2014.1.1, the lid would be 2014.1.1.a and the pot would be 2014.1.1.b so you can query 2014.1* to get the full set of tea service records.

We will change around our object types (group to whole, part to whole, etc.) as the objects are moved and either joined or separated.  For instance a large corner cabinet may be a whole while it is on display, but when it removed from display the cabinet is disassembled and place in multiple storage locations.  In this case the whole is changed to a group and the parts are changed to wholes.  Locations tracking is then more precise.

We make no assumptions that an object must be displayed with its lid or top.  In fact, I know of a couple cases where the cabinet top for one object is on the top of a different cabinet and we have had some lids where curatorial switched the lid for one bowl with another bowl.

Thanks,
Carole

Carole Campbell
Registrar for Collections Management
J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Tel: (310) 440-7083

Fax: (310) 440-7746

Dear Listserv,

I apologize for the cross-posting!

I am curious how others catalog those works that have additional components in their TMS database. For example, if you have a cup and saucer set, would you create two separate object records for them, or would you create one object record and designate the cup an the saucer as component parts?

I am finding that in the past multiple object records have been created for works that have multiple components, such that a cup and it's saucer are 1993.003.001a and 1993.003.001b as two separate object records. One of my concerns is if this is an efficient means of cataloging? For example, if I were to query all objects, I would not receive an accurate read because there would be multiple object records for technically "one single" object.

How have others rectified these circumstances? Do you find the component aspect of an object record efficient for accurately cataloging a "cup and saucer"? If so, how does your object record look - i.e. 1993.003.001a-b?

Thank you all so much for your input!

Amanda Robinson