From:
"Glosson, Eunice" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:43:25 -0400
How do you handle bargain/sales?

Eunice Glosson
Registrar for Collections and Museums
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Aylsworth, David
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 6:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accession Method

In Houston, we very much consider this to be a PURCHASE.  It's something that is always being confused by our curators, but I try to drill home that anytime the institution cuts the check, the accession method is PURCHASE.  If we do not cut a check, it is a GIFT.

Similarly, the role of the person who gives funds for a purchase is a FUNDER.  If they give an object, they are a DONOR.  Something that is purchased should not have anyone with a DONOR role linked to it.

I actually set it up procedurally that we cannot buy a work of art unless the purchase order is accompanied by an "art purchase form" which is a crystal report out of TMS.  The "art purchase form" will not run if there is not someone identified as a "dealer or seller" as well as someone identified as "funder" and the accession method switched over to "purchase".  It's worked surprisingly well

David

David Aylsworth
Collections Registrar
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston