From:
"Smith, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:21:13 -0400
Wonderful - thanks for both of these.

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of French, Ariana
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TMS Bibliography module and web publishing

Depending on the context, I'll use either a UDF (e.g. in listview
queries) to concatenate strings, or in the case of our bibliography
report, a combo of Crystal Reports formulas.

Example UDF (concatenates alternate numbers):

CREATE function [dbo].[concat_altnums](@objectID varchar(50))

RETURNS varchar(200) AS

BEGIN

  DECLARE @str varchar(200)

  SELECT @str = COALESCE(@str + ', ', '') + altnum

  FROM altnums WHERE id = @objectID and tableid=108 GROUP BY altnum

  RETURN @str

END

Example CR XI formulas (concatenates bibliography-related constituents):

//@reset (place in group header)

whileprintingrecords;

stringvar x:= "";

//@accum (in details; suppress details section)

whileprintingrecords;

stringvar x;

x := x + {Constituents.DisplayName} & ", ";

//@displ (in group footer)

whileprintingrecords;

stringvar x;

if len(x) > 2

then left(x,len(x)-2) & ', '

I think I originally got the CR formulas from something I read on
Tek-Tips (tek-tips.com) - a great resource.

Ariana