From:
Chad Petrovay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:41:30 -0500
I hope everyone had a happy holiday!!

I'm curious for your thoughts about how to record surnames which include
articles and prepositionals within the alternate names of the Constituents
module. Below is an example of three variations on a name; the first, last
and sort names are different from one another, but the display strings are
all the same.

<AlternateNames>
<name>
    <display>Jan Van der Marck</display>
    <sort>Van der Marck, Jan</sort>
    <first>Jan</first>
    <last>Van der Marck</last>
</name>
<name>
    <display>Jan van Der Marck</display>
    <sort>Der Marck, Jan van</sort>
    <first>Jan van</first>
    <last>Der Marck</last>
</name>
<name>
    <display>Jan van der Marck</display>
    <sort>Marck, Jan van der</sort>
    <first>Jan van der</first>
    <last>Marck</last>
</name>
</AlternateNames>

If an end user were to open up the Alternate Names control in the
Constituent record, they would understand why the same name has been
repeated. But I am concerned that end users will not understand why there
are three versions in the ConXref drop down, and will have a hard time
selecting one (or will not be consistent).

Does anyone else have this issue, and if so how have you addressed it?

~Chad