From:
Julie Hoogland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2019 22:02:07 +0000
Hello,
I've had this problem at other institutions in the past and wanted to know what other museums are doing. Is a watercolor classified as a drawing or a painting? In the AAT the term watercolor is called paint. However, I know there is a long history of watercolors being considered drawings or preliminary sketches. Additionally, I know that with multiple classifications in TMS, they could be listed as both, but the curators think that would be confusing. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Julie Hoogland
Collections Manager
(760) 322-4810