Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2016 08:29:54 +0000
From:
"Shepherd, Rupert" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear colleagues

The National Gallery’s transformation of TMS data to semantic data was carried out by Joseph Padfield of our Scientific Department long before I arrived. There are some notes on his work at http://research.ng-london.org.uk/wiki/index.php/National_Gallery_RDF; if you’d like to know more, let me know and I’ll see what I can find out.

Chad’s email reminds me of a question I’ve been meaning to ask. In order for our semantic data to be truly linked (as well as open and data), we need to connect the entities we describe to those same entities in other linked open datasets (e.g. our Leonardo da Vinci is the same as the Getty ULAN’s Leonardo da Vinci; our ultramarine blue is the same as the AAT’s ultramarine blue; etc.) Is anyone else making those connections and storing them in TMS – and if so, where? And how are you identifying the connections – by hand, or in some more automated fashion?

With best wishes

Rupert

Rupert Shepherd, PhD FSA
Collection Information Manager