From:
Carole Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:30:06 -0800
Hi Eliza,

Here at the Getty we create an Outgoing Loan record and track the status of the loan with an entry in the Thesaurus under Statuses.  We have the following statuses:
approved
cancelled
completed
current
denied
pending
postponed
prepending

Once a request is made a loan record is created.  As it waits for review it is given a prepending status.  This gives us the ability to find our loan records in the database, but keeps these loan records off of reports.  Once a decision is made to consider the request the status is changed to pending.  We track when the loan proposal is due, pending loan requirements and the curatorial contact for the loan in the Text Entries in TMS.  We have reports that are run monthly that tell us:
Pending Loans
Approved Loans
Approved and Current Loans
Long Term Loans

If we decide not to lend then the status is changed to denied.  The exhibition record status is updated to denied and we exclude all the objects from the venue.  Finally, we record the Denial Letter date in TMS.  If only some objects are going to be lent then the denied objects are excluded from venues and removed from the exhibition altogether.  You can do this on the Exhibition Objects Tab and it doesn't effect the Loan Record.  We created our Denial Log so it is run from TMS.  We also provided Curatorial with a Loan History report that will tell them an object's full loan history including denials.  Curatorial also asked to see our lending history with a particular borrower which they can see with another report.

Thanks.
Carole

Carole Campbell
Associate Registrar for Collections Management
J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90049
>>> [log in to unmask] 02/18/05 11:42AM >>>

Hello,
We are trying to devise a way to track outgoing loan requests and consideration in TMS. We are using the loans module to manage approved outgoing loans, but have no way to track the progress or denial of other requests.
Are any institutions tracking this information? If so, how are you maintaining the data in TMS?
Thank you!
Eliza Sparacino
Manager, Collection and Exhibition Technologies
(212) 708.9599
MoMA
The Museum of Modern Art
http://www.moma.org