From:
Diane Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:05:33 -0400
Our use of this field has changed over time, based on the fact that our
Notes field is Public on eMuseum, but Curatorial Remarks is not.

Actually I've been working on my manual today, and have the old and new
right in front of me. Here is how we originally used it:

Curatorial Remarks: This field is for specific remarks by Department
Curators ONLY. Information about condition or reattribution has specific
fields set aside, but other Curatorial comments belong here.

1. Use Curatorial Remarks to justify or explain curatorial information
and/or judgment calls as necessary, and include published sources that were
referenced when possible. For example:

a. The date of case bottles 1894.20.0.2-.5 do not correspond to the family
history. These case bottles could not have been brought to America in the
ship 'Diligent', which sailed in 1638, because they were not made before
1780. (Hunt 5/3/2005)

b. Information on the maker and date based on Patricia Kane, Colonial
Massachusetts Silversmiths and Jewelers, p. 686-692. (Hunt 8/8/2006)

2. If an expert consultant reviews an object, use Curatorial Remarks to
identify the consultant, what details they reviewed, the conclusions, and
the date of the visit.

3. If a curator's specialized knowledge enables him/her to add detail to the
record that is too specific to fit in Description, add it here. For example:

a. The word "galoshes" derived from "Galoe shoes", which are related to
clogs like these. (Bassett 5/3/2001)

b. Opal and opaque white glass objects were often made to imitate the fine,
translucent porcelains being made in China for export to Europe and America.
(Hunt 3/10/2005)

4. For authority control, curators MUST close notes with: (Last name
DD/MM/YEAR).

We made a change to add more informative comments to the regular Notes
field, like the one above about galoshes.  We thought things like that would
be of interest to people.

We do also use this field now to leave in-house notes. If something has a
Status Flag of Photography Needed, the cataloger may  specify a Photography
Note: Please take a detail of the label attached on verso of quilt. (Smith
6/24/2013)

Here is the slight change to the manual (please forgive any formatting, it
is a work in progress.)

1.      Curatorial Remarks: This field is for notes about objects that are
not going to be available to the public. It can be used specifically for
Curators, but also can be used for instructions on a specific photography
shot that is needed, or to record that a photograph is available in the
object file.

1.      Use Curatorial Remarks to justify or explain curatorial information
and/or judgment calls as necessary, and include published sources that were
referenced when possible. For example:

b.      The date of case bottles 1894.20.0.2-.5 do not correspond to the
family history. These case bottles could not have been brought to America in
the ship 'Diligent', which sailed in 1638, because they were not made before
1780. (Hunt 5/3/2005)

Information on the maker and date based on Patricia Kane, Colonial
Massachusetts Silversmiths and Jewelers, p. 686-692. (Hunt 8/8/2006)

1.      If an expert consultant reviews an object, use Curatorial Remarks to
identify the consultant, what details they reviewed, the conclusions, and
the date of the visit.

2.      If a curator's specialized knowledge enables him/her to add theory
or speculation to a record, without being able to do research at the moment,
add it here. For example:

2.      Probably produced for a Roman Catholic audience. (Finlay 4/10/2002)

1.      Maker Note: Probably the work of an amateur photographer, possibly
George Grant McCurdy. (Finlay 3/27/2002)

For authority control, catalogers/curators MUST close notes with: (Last name
DD/MM/YEAR).

Diane.

Diane Lee | Collections Manager

[log in to unmask] | (860) 236-5621 x(242)

Connecticut Historical Society | One Elizabeth Street | Hartford, CT 06105 |
www.chs.org <http://www.chs.org/>

Upcoming Events <http://www.chs.org/calendar>  | Membership
<http://www.chs.org/membership>  | Donate <http://store.chs.org/donate/>  |
Volunteer <http://www.chs.org/volunteer>