From:
Ella Rothgangel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:36:44 -0500
We are at the beginning stages of a large photography project that will
involve approximately 13,000 object records.  We would like to tag each
object in this group as being a high priority, middle priority, or low
priority for photography.  I know that there are several ways to do this
– object packages, commandeering an unused field in the objects module,
status flags, or (my personal favorite) creating an exhibition record
for this project where several people can add comments, notes, etc., in
the case number, catalogue number, section fields.

One issue with this is the large number of objects, we have so many
records that adding flags or noting things in an exhibition record seems
a bit daunting.  Also, there are groups within this project that do not
need a one-on-one look.  For example, everything by a certain artist
would need this flag, everything above a certain size would need this
flag, everything from a certain exhibition would need this flag, etc.
Is there a way to grab certain objects together and flag them all at
once?  Is there an excel spreadsheet/export-import trick that someone
has done?  Are there options that I’m not thinking of that would make
this project easier?

Any advice or suggestion would be much appreciated –

Ella

Ella Rothgangel
Collections Database Administrator
Saint Louis Art Museum