From:
Chad Petrovay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:11:07 -0400
Are any of the Portfolios accessioned? If not I would create a new
numbering system just for the virtual objects/portfolios.

We had the same problem: sometimes a pair of earrings were given
separate (unrelated) acc numbers. When we put them on the website, it
seems ridiculous to have 2 records, so we created virtual object records
to manage them. The worst was a string of 16 amulets, each with a
different acc number. We tried different methods until I finally settled
on the VO.x scheme. This means that we have to enter a string of
applicable acc numbers and a sort number to the user defined fields, but
it's made them much easier to handle (and abated my headache!).

Chad M Petrovay

Collections Database Administrator

The Walters Art Museum

600 North Charles Street

Baltimore, MD  21210

P: 410.547.9000 x266

F: 410.837.4846

www.thewalters.org <http://www.thewalters.org/>

Exhibitions:

Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry on view October 19, 2008 through
January 4, 2009

Sonya Clark: Loose Strands, Tight Knots through September 21, 2008

The Special Dead: A Medieval Reliquary Revealed through January 18, 2009