From:
Diane Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:48:18 -0400
Hi Laura,

I can definitely give you some examples, especially as our first major
cataloging project after getting TMS was costume, and then we went right
into ceramics.

This is the brief paragraph from of our original guidelines:

Object Counting- Pretty much everything is going to be counted as multiple
objects:

Shoes, stockings, garters, gloves, etc: 2 objects

Tea Sets, uniforms- any multi-part item: Count each whole piece of the set
as a separate object: a creamer, teapot, tray and sugar bowl will total 4
objects; a dress, a matching veil and a matching shawl will total 3 objects.

Component parts of individual pieces do NOT get counted as separate objects
as long as they are still together with the larger piece, making up one
whole: the lid to the teapot is NOT a separate object as long as the teapot
is still with it; the matching belt, or collar, etc of a dress is NOT
counted as a separate object as long as we still have the dress.

So, a tea set of a teapot with lid, sugar bowl with lid, and 10 cups, would
make a 12 count. The teapot would have two components created of teapot, and
lid.

A pair vases would be 2 objects; even though they go together, they don't
have to be. If it is one record for the set, we would create components.

Pair of shoes, gloves, earrings are two objects. Usually components are
created for the shoes and gloves noting if the left or the right is .a or .b

Suits, even if they would never be exhibited apart, would have the
individual pieces counted, as would dresses that are made up of a bodice and
skirt. Components are created for all the individual pieces.

For albums, we count the album as one object. We do assign further
sub-points to the photos (or whatever) inside, to be able to track them for
media records, so the object number in the system might look like
1999.100.0.1-.99. We do not currently create components for the items inside
the albums.

For photos that were once bound in an album, but we took them apart, are
storing them apart, and cataloging them apart, even if we assigned that
album number format to them originally, we would now count them as 1 object
each since that one physical album no longer exists.

We don't currently have any Diptychs or Triptychs, so no help for you there.

Hope that helps! Happy TMS-ing!

Diane.

Diane Lee | Collections Manager

[log in to unmask] | (860) 236-5621 x(242)

Connecticut Historical Society | One Elizabeth Street | Hartford, CT 06105 |
www.chs.org <http://www.chs.org/>

Upcoming Events <http://www.chs.org/calendar>  | Membership
<http://www.chs.org/membership>  | Donate <http://store.chs.org/donate/>  |
Volunteer <http://www.chs.org/volunteer>