From:
"Morgan, Amber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:27:36 +0000
That's basically what we do.  Repros are linked as child records with a relationship type we made called "IsFormatOf."  The records for the repro objects are copied from the parent record and the department changed to "Archives Media" or "Art Media," whatever the case may be.  Minimal changes are made to the repro record - the medium field and physical description just get "Facsimile of" dropped in at the beginning.  Also, Object Type is changed to "Media Collection" and Object Status to "Non-Accessioned Object."  The object number is changed as well - for example, a facsimile of 1998.1.123 would be numbered "1998.1.123 (facsimile 01)."

It has worked very well for us.  You can add the facsimile/media record to exhibitions, loans, etc.  This helps our exhibitions department out when preparing loans - they know not to pack the original and to go to the Photography department to pick up the facsimile.  The location of the original object isn't changed when the facsimile goes out on display, but if we use the object in a publication, or if we want to create historic exhibition records for an object, we can do that without it looking like the actual object went somewhere.

Another benefit is that I can set permissions for our photography department to create these records.  They can only create records into the media departments, meaning they can go crazy making as many facsimiles as they want without messing up my object counts or editing the actual accession records.

I attached a sample fact sheet I generated from TMS; it doesn't show the actual related record info but it might clarify some of the other things I've said here.

Happy to answer any questions.
Best regards,
Amber

the warhol:
Amber E. Morgan
Collections Manager
117 Sandusky Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
T 412.237.8306
F 412.237.8340
E [log in to unmask]
W www.warhol.org<http://www.warhol.org/>
The Andy Warhol Museum
One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
Email newsletter http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/email
Membership http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/SupportCMP