From:
"Sanford, Robyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 19:41:26 -0700
We're not technically using TMS yet but at the moment I imagine we'll be
applying the same policy we use now which is a hybrid between individual
sign-ons and generic sign-ons.

Each department has an intern login that is pre-fixed by the department
name (i.e. COLLMGMTINTERN). Depending on how each department is working
with their interns we have given them view-only rights or limited access
for their specific responsibilities. Using this method helps us identify
who was making the error easier because we can see in the record whether
it was an intern or not. Since each department tracks their own interns
we can cross reference the dates with them if we ever had to identify a
specific person, though this has never come up. Generally just knowing
it was an intern has been enough to tell us whether to trust the update
or not if we see something a-miss. The only exception to this is the
Registrar's office interns who do get individual log-ins due to the
complexity of the work they do in the database.

We know individual log-ins is the ideal but we decided that we would not
be able to keep up with the large amount of user logins that would be
required (activating AND deactivating). We also found that we were not
necessarily notified every time new interns started and/or left so
sometimes an intern would start and could not get into the database
right away (an issue since database training is often the first thing
staff put on an intern's schedule) so staff would let them use their log
ins which of course has its own issues.

For us, giving the staff a ready-to-use intern login that is customized
to their needs seems to have alleviated most of our past issues and
still gives us some control over system use.

Robyn Sanford

Head of Collection Information

LOS ANGELES COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART

5905 WILSHIRE BOULEVARD

LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA 90036

T 323 857 4769

F 323 857 6213

E [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>