From:
"Radvak, Liana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2017 17:45:48 +0000
Hi,

We use Classification for this purpose as our departments and custodial responsibilities are rather unique. Classification allows us to divide it up so to speak, it's not perfect but best solution so far. Modern works fall under our Modern and Contemporary department, the classification is then used to identify works belonging to either collection.  The Canadian department expands and advances every 5 years so any Canadian works in Contemporary then change department and classification. Same with our Library & Archives, we have 4 terms for each collecting area under the L&A umbrella. If it is an artist fond, it remains L&A otherwise it is assigned one of the other three.  Hope this helps.

Liana