From:
Noel Valentin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:17:40 -0400
Dear TMS Users,

I currently use TMS 9.20.

I searched the TMS List-serv archive today because we need to resolve an
issue here at El Museo regarding data we want to enter and store
somewhere, preferably in TMS.  The data we want to store, for instance,
would provide descriptions or definitions on a folk art tradition,
Performance art in Colombia, "Nuyorican" artists of the 1970s, etc.
Each of these Subjects could have a Related link to one or more objects.
Where can such data reside in TMS?  In the Events module?

Allison Smith at The Warhol posted this same question (in much better
detail than I) a few years ago.  Her query is copied below.  At the time
Allison posted her query there were a couple of responses to her
sub-query regarding languages but none on how other TMSers are using the
Events module.

As an educational resource which can be posted on-line it would be great
if TMS/E-Museum had the capability to store/display information other
than basic object and artist information - but to also store data
related to "Concepts, Themes, Techniques, Processes, Styles, Periods,
Movements" (quoting from Allison's query).

It seems as if the Events module is currently designed to enter data
related to a historical event (e.g. the dates and description of the
demolition of the Berlin Wall is entered in the Events module; an Object
record related to this historical Event is linked to this Event record).

Your feedback is greatly appreciated,

Noel Valentin

Registrar

EL MUSEO DEL BARRIO

1230 Fifth Avenue

New York, NY  10029

Tel:  (212) 660 - 7120

Fax: (212) 831 7927

Email: [log in to unmask]

Dear TMS Users -

Our Education Department has shown interest in using TMS as a archival
repository for their educational materials, which help teach the story
of Andy Warhol, as well as the related people, concepts, techniques,
events, places, and issues related to his life and/or body of work.
Their ultimate goal is to build a website for teachers, where educators
can use the materials (mainly downloadable PDF "activity" files) found
at the site, for classroom purposes. They are also interested in
creating an Andy Warhol Timeline, in which people can look at specific
dates in Warhol's history, read about Andy, and then get related records
to other events or trends occurring in history at that time (not only in
the United States, but in other countries).

The second ultimate goal, is to have this site be in other languages,
beginning with Russian, and possibly Chinese, and probably including
many of the European languages representative of the countries to which
our collection regularly travels.  This second goal, we realize, will be
extremely tricky, and may not include using TMS as a repository for the
foreign language translations at all. We're still trying to figure this
out.  Anyone out there dealt with this issue?

I do think it's possible that TMS can be used to accommodate the
educational information and exercises created by our Ed. Dept.  I also
think their information has the potential to make our entire database
much richer. From my initial playing around with their data, it seems
like Constituents, Events, and Sites are going to be very important
modules for them to use.  In regards to Events, we are expanding our
definition of what "Events" actually means, to be able to accommodate
the following subjects: Historical Events, Natural Events, Political
Events, Activities, Concepts, Themes, Techniques, Processes, Styles,
Periods, Movements, and the Warhol Timeline (so far).  We will be using
the Attributes section of the Events module, to help facilitate
searching across these subjects.

My question to the list serve is - has anyone out there really developed
TMS for use in this way?  Is anyone out there regularly using Sites and
Events for holding data about places, and/or for non-object/constituent
specific subject matter related to their collection?  If so, have you
found it problematic that in TMS, Sites can't be related (through the
Display Mode - Hierarchy) to Events?

Here is a listing of other modules that don't link.  Question - has it
been problematic for anyone out there, that these modules don't link?

Sites doesn't link to:
Events
Exhibitions

Events doesn't link to:
Sites
Exhibitions
Bibliography

Exhibitions doesn't link to:
Sites
Events
Bibliography

Bibliography doesn't link to:
Events
Exhibitions

Finally, we're looking into purchasing eMuseum, as a building block for
our website.  What has been your general experience with this product?
For those of you that have purchased eMuseum, how accommodating has GS
been with requests for functionality that eMuseum may not currently
have? (or TMS for that matter).

Sorry this has been so long. I always find it necessary to give a lot of
context.
It would be really great to hear from anyone out there, who may be
dealing with these issues.  We'd like to know if others are developing
(or thought about developing) TMS in this way, and what successes (or
pitfalls), they've encountered with their projects, and/or eMuseum.

Thanks so much!
Allison
the warhol:
Allison A. Smith
Collection Manager / Database Administrator
117 Sandusky Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
T   412.237.8345
F   412.237.8340