From:
Van Hassel Dieter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2016 21:00:13 +0000
Hi,

We're currently using a workflow based on Crystal Reports in TMS, Asana (http://www.asana.com) & JotForm (http://www.jotform.com), glued together with Zapier (http://www.zapier.com)

Here at the RMCA, we have an ongoing digitization programme but we also get (occasional) requests for photos from "customers", both internal and external.  Both processes are quite similar, with the latter using an online form to streamline demands (see below).

For our internal programme, we're using the following workflow:

-          We have one active project for both our in-house photographers, eg right now  this is our "Statuettes"-collection from Central-Africa (+/- 6000 objects in total).

-          In TMS we create Object Packages of about 50 objects (+/- 1 week work for a photographer, depending on the type of the objects).  We try to group similar objects as much as possible (same size, same repository, ...) to make the photography process as efficient as possible.

-          We designed 3 Crystal Reports, that we run for every package:

o   Handling: a list of components and their current locations, a checkbox 'Out', a checkbox 'In", a field for remarks. This list is ordered by Current Location and handed over to the responsible handler.

o   Shooting: a list of the objects, a checkbox "Shooting OK", a checkbox "Uploaded to NAS", a field for remarks and instructions (eg. position of the object, if it has to be grouped together with another object, etc). This list is ordered by Object Number and obviously handed over to the photographer assigned with this package / task (see below)

o   Postprocessing: a list of the objects, checkboxes to indicate if the MediaRecord is linked to the object, if the thumbnails are OK, etc.  The actual linking of the photos is done with a set of Powershellscripts, Recogniform's Image Processor and the TMSMediaLoader.  However, one of our registrars is still taking care of these final checks before closing the task.

-          In Asana we have an active project "Statuettes".  Every set of objects (the object packages) is a separate task in this project, and has some subtasks:

o   Handling "Out"

o   Shooting

o   Postprocessing and checkup

o   Linking to TMS

o   Handling "In"

You can easily assign people to each subtask, set a deadline, attach & share files, add comments & tags, etc.  You can even link it up with GANTT charts or an Exchange calendar if wanted.  Splitting everything up into (sub)tasks makes it easy for everybody to find out what to do next, what still has to be done, etc.  Every user has a clear overview in his Asana-dashboard of his open tasks with the deadlines, ...

For the external requests, most of the workflow is the same.  However, all demands are treated by our "Rights & reproductions"-unit: they collect all demands for reproductions, check what objects already have a good photo and hand us (DIGIT-unit) a list of objects that have to be photographed.  This is done through a form created with JotForm.  The form has a few standard fields like a list of objects, the name of the object package (R&R creates an object package in a shared folder), the number of objects, the deadline, who's to be contacted if we need clarification, if there are special needs (eg dark / gradient background, if some objects have to be grouped together, if close up shots are needed, etc), etc.
After submission, the form sends us a mail with a summary of the request, but also uploads the data to a Google Sheet (to keep an overview) and creates a new task (and subtasks) in Asana under the "Repro"-project. This is done with the help of a Zapier-zap.  Once the task is in Asana, we can start assigned the tasks, prepare and print the 3 reports, etc.  Once all steps are done, we inform Rights&Reproductions that the images are ready.

Hope this helps a bit.  It works for us, but it can still be improved a bit more (eg transferring objects to Conservation&Restauration if we find our they need restauration prior the photography).  We'd love to read other users' experiences to help improve our workflow.

Best regards,
Dieter

Royal Museum for Central Africa
Archives & Collections Management