From:
"Treitel, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:25:03 -0500
Hi Everyone;

I have devised a 3 part numbering system for recording and tracking renditions into TMS. If any of you have the time to review the sample list below for our object number 1982-53a,b, I would appreciate your comments before I attempt to implement this new numbering system.

To ensure that all departments uniformly enter images into TMS A style guide will be created and the following three numbering components should be entered for each image: first  the "OBJECT NUMBER", then "DEPARTMENT CODE" (3 letters plus a dot), and the " UNIQUE SUFFIX" (following the dot, indicates multiple renditions of a particular object). Each department should maintain its list of unique consecutive numbers.

To query media renditions for an object, simply enter the object number with a *. The search result will list renditions by department along with their unique number.

As an example, 15 rendition numbers for object number 1982-53a,b:

                               OBJECT   DEPT.  UNIQUE
         NUMBER CODE  SUFFIX
Visual Resources        1982-53a,b TJM.1
        1982-53a,b TJM.2
        1982-53a,b TJM.3

Fine Arts       1982-53a,b JMF.1
        1982-53a,b JMF.2
        1982-53a,b JMF.3

Education       1982-53a,b JME.1
        1982-53a,b JME.2
        1982-53a,b JME.3

Registrar's Inventory   1982-53a,b JMI.1
        1982-53a,b JMI.2
        1982-53a,b JMI.3

Judaica 1982-53a,b JMJ.1
        1982-53a,b JMJ.2
        1982-53a,b JMJ.3

Finally, do you recommend that all images be saved into the SCREEN folder or should each department save their images in department folders on the I:drive?

I am anxiously awaiting your response,

Barbara

Barbara Treitel
Manager Visual Resources/Rights and Reproduction
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue . New York, NY 10128
212.423.325o  .  [log in to unmask]