From:
Aleesha Ast <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:07:35 -0500
Hello all,

I know I posted a similar question two years ago, so forgive my redundancy,
but I cannot come to a clear decision on how best to number incoming loan
objects. How would you recommend numbering your incoming loans (objects)? I
prefer to have some sort of differentiation between incoming loans that are
specifically for an exhibition we're organizing, and works that we're
borrowing to place in our permanent galleries. I've used
exhibition-specific prefixes, which is nice because it makes searching very
simple, but I'm afraid that will leave us with just too many prefixes in
the database. Here are some of the options I've thought of:

- Use IL.20XX.X.X for ALL objects we borrow. The year is based on when they
will physically be at the museum, next number is Loan Agreement number, and
then object associated with that loan.

- Use the above just for works borrowed for the permanent collection, and
EL.20XX.X.X for works coming in for an exhibition we're organizing.

This is going to be the start of getting other staff members used to using
TMS this way, so they do not have an opinion yet.

One other semi-related question: Do you enter object records for packaged
traveling exhibitions? We were thinking of just scanning in the checklist
and attaching it to the exhibition record, which has its obvious
limitations.

Thank you for any advice!

Best,

Aleesha Nissen Ast