From:
Chad Petrovay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:24:34 -0400
GIF's can be both static images or a series of images that make up an
animation. When the image viewer does not support GIF animations, only the
first frame is displayed. The GIF format is not a default format in the
Media Type Authority in TMS, and should only be under a single type (Image
or Video). However, you could make a separate type called "Animated Image"
to hold this format, if you have a hard time deciding.

My TMS has GIF as an image, and I was able to drag and drop an animated GIF
from Wikipedia into a TMS record. However, the generated thumbnail is
static, and when I open the image in TMS's image viewer it is static as
well. The better choice would be to have the GIF open in an external
viewer. In the Media Authority, right-click on the GIF node and select
"External". While the image will still appear static as a TMS thumbnail,
you will get the animation when you double-click on the media (my default
viewer was iexplorer).

Hope this helps, and thanks for the Friday distraction. ~Chad