From:
"Essam, Gillian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2013 12:40:56 +0100
Hi David,

In 2011 we created object records for frames owned by the Gallery and
linked them to object records for paintings via association records of
the type 'current framing' (and 'former framing' as paintings were
re-framed from 2011). The majority of our frames are in use on
paintings.

We record minimum data for identification in the frame object - unique
number, object status (NG or non-NG frame), classification (part
integral, etc), glazing material, overall dimensions, and in the
association record, the date of framing. If the empty frame is new and
awaiting use on a painting, we record this in a 'frame allocation note'.
From 2011 Framing and Photographic staff have maintained updates to
framing data, supported by a written procedure and data entry rules.

We record a generic current location = 'Frame - Consult Framing Dept'
with location description = 'Frame is either attached to a painting or,
if empty, in a store location recorded outside TMS by Framing Dept'.
Actual current locations are recorded on TMS only for empty frames sent
out of the Gallery, a fairly rare occurrence.

We already had high-res unframed images of all our paintings, but very
few framed. What made the creation of frame objects possible was an
independent initiative by Framing staff to create low-res framed images
all currently framed paintings. These are low quality images often at
odd angles and in poor light so they are not suitable for public
information, but they are extremely valuable for identification
internally. We linked them to the frame and the painting objects. From
2011 whenever pictures are unframed or reframed, Photographic take the
opportunity to create high-res images of the empty frame and painting in
its current frame.

If we borrow an empty frame we create a frame object record, as for our
own frames

If we borrow a framed painting, we do not create a frame object record.
Frame dimensions and glazing information are recorded in the object
record for the painting. If we remove the frame and store it separately
for the duration of the loan we record this in a note, but this is rare.

For the future:

*         Creating TMS object records for the relatively small number of
frames in store

*         Recording pieces of material or components removed from a
frame when it is re-sized etc.

I hope this is useful

Gillian

Gillian Essam

Collection Information Manager

The National Gallery

Trafalgar Square

London WC2N 5DN

T +44 (0)20 7747 2543

F +44 (0)20 7747 2472

E [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

www.nationalgallery.org.uk <http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/>