From:
"Finkel, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:06:03 -0400
Reminding users to update the attribution label is an ongoing effort and
is definitely a training issue.  There is a report I run monthly (see
attached) to see what Constituent records have been changed since a
given date and what object records may be effected.  By looking down the
list of Constituents to see which changes involved names and then
looking at the list of related objects you can see where the current
attribution label does not conform to a change in the Constituent name.
There are usually not too many of these each month, but there are always
a few. It would be nice if attributions could be updated when a change
in the Constituent name was entered.  Monitoring attributions is an
ongoing task.

As far as the Use in Attribution check box goes, it's not meant to stay
checked.  You check it for the desired Constituents when you're ready to
create a new attribution label and then you click on the Create Label
button to automatically generate the Forward and Inverted Display texts.
Assuming that the Constituents are in the desired display order and
you've entered the appropriate Prefix, Suffix, etc. on the
Cross-Reference  Information tab, the Create Label button should produce
the Attribution correctly.  You can always enter or edit the Forward and
Inverted Display fields manually if that's necessary.  The Use in
Attribution checkbox is a one-time thing and needs to be reselected if
you're generating a new attribution with the Create Label button.

Hope this is helpful.

Sue Finkel

Collections Information Systems Coordinator

Registrar's Office

National Gallery of Art

Washington, DC