From:
"Wilker, Jenny" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:45:02 -0500
We use containers in all kinds of ways, but they are particularly valuable
for solander boxes.  Our Prints, Drawings, and Photographs locations are
conceptual, rather than specific (PDP Main Storage [M355], Prints, Italian
Old Masters, 14 x 18 box, monographic 2 or  PDP Main Storage [M355],
Drawings, 16 x 22 box, alphabetical).  We have many boxes with the same
"location".

Designating a unique container for each box allows us to print out box lists
and will also immensely facilitate the move we are planning for next year.
We are now bar coding each box and will scan and upload those codes to track
the movement of thousands of works on paper every day.

That said, easier access to the Container Assistant would be very helpful.
And sometimes our users do move entire containers when they mean to move
only one thing out of a container, or vice versa.   We would also like to be
able to enter and track the locations of empty containers in the Objects
module.  You can do this in the Shipping module I believe.  I am not sure
why it can't be done in Objects.

Jenny Wilker

Manager, Collection Information
Philadelphia Museum of Art