From:
Karen Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:32:32 -0400
Hi,

Not sure if this is at all related, but we are currently having our
home locations "reset" (my words) with an append to our database, as
when we received our final iteration, it seemed we did not really have
home locations. Whenever we tried to return something to a "home
location" it simply returned it back to the last recorded location,
regardless of whether it was a "home location" or a "temp location".

I am not entirely sure how the problem is being corrected, but folks
at Gallery Systems are handling it, so I don't think I can be of much
help here, just to say that we too, were experiencing a similar
problem with "home locations".

But I too would be interested in how to actually assign or unassign
"home locations" for future.

Many thanks,
Karen

Karen Casey Hines Assistant Registrar Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center
Vassar College Box 703, 124 Raymond Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12604 |
T845.437.5249 F845.437.5955
September 7 - December 9 Eirik Johnson: Sawdust Mountain
http://fllac/vassar.edu/

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Patty Tainter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Kate-
>
> Just a clarification about my initial inquiry.
>
> The home location is different from the current location. All the objects in the collection are in the correct current location. But the home location is the "permanent"location. The only reason why I want to unassign these "permanent"locations, other than the fact that the works in our collection don't have a permanent location, is that some of these locations use gallery terms that we don't currently use. I want to make these location terms inactive, but can't do this because they have been assigned as home locations for some objects.
> [cid:C64F4C6E-1E5F-47EF-BA88-6E01C96ACC05]
>
> It is possible for works not to have home locations. I only know this because the help screen regarding home locations says this:
> [cid:F4FA5A08-D49C-4F2C-AF51-0C641A146AED]
> However, it doesn't say how to assign or unassign home locations.
>
> Does anybody know?
>
> Many thanks,
> Patty
> --
> Patricia Virasin Tainter
> Assistant Registrar
> Kimbell Art Museum
> 3333 Camp Bowie Blvd.
> Fort Worth, TX 76107
>
> ph: 817-332-8451 ext 212
> f: 817-877-1264
> From: <Collen>, Kate <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Date: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:33 AM
> To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Re: Home locations - unassigning
>

> Greetings Patty,
>

> There is no way to "unassign" locations for objects in TMS, you just have to "reassign" it a new location. You can do this in a batch method by bringing up the group of objects you'd like to move (using a query or object package), clicking on the 3 dots next to the "Current Location" field on the data entry card, and from the next screen, select Move/Current Selection/Perform Regular Moves. (screenshot below).
>

> [cid:image003.jpg@01CD91A3.A62BD680]
>

> Alternately, if you know SQL, you can reassign LocationIDs which will truly nuke the old locations but it is a bit complicated and seems unneccesary in your case.
>

> Once you complete the move in TMS, your old home location (data migration from old DB) will be stored as an historical location and your new location will appear as the Current Location on the front card of the data entry screen. It is good to retain information about your old locations/data migration in the historical location entries so you can view where objects were previously stored, or just as a record of when the data was migrated.
>

> Hope that helps!
>

> Best,
>
> Kate
>

> Kate Collen
> Collections Database Administrator
> Smithsonian National Postal Museum
> [...]

/Users/kacasey/Desktop/checklist Johnson_Page_5_Image_0006.jpg