From:
Brenda Podemski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2019 23:14:56 +0000
External Email - Exercise Caution

Hello Diane,

We're already tracking our own rights status information in the R&R module, so rather than track/populate Yet Another TMS Field, we chose to instead use a formula for generating RightsStatements.org statements based on the data we already have:

Media Copyright IS NULL AND (Check Copyright = N OR Copyright Status = Public Domain)
         ==> NO COPYRIGHT - UNITED STATES

Media Copyright IS NOT NULL OR Copyright Status in (Copyright J. Paul Getty Trust, Copyright Limited License to J. Paul Getty Trust, Copyright Owned by Third Party - No License)
         ==> IN COPYRIGHT

Copyright Status in (Orphan Work - Rights Holder Not Identifiable, Orphan Work - Rights Holder Not Locatable)
         ==> IN COPYRIGHT - RIGHTS-HOLDER(S) UNLOCATABLE OR UNIDENTIFIABLE

Copyright Status in (Additional Research Required, Unknown)
         ==> COPYRIGHT UNDETERMINED

Copyright Status = Not Researched
         ==> COPYRIGHT NOT EVALUATED

Check Copyright = Y AND Copyright Status IS NULL
         ==> COPYRIGHT NOT EVALUATED

We expose the statement in TMS or collection page mappings via custom views, and are currently working on adding the new fields as embedded metadata into our images (after which we'll begin displaying the RightsStatements from our collection pages).

The downside is that you can't search by the statements in TMS, but thus far no one is clamoring for this functionality, either ;-)

Brenda Podemski
Head of Collection Information & Access
The J. Paul Getty Museum
Pronouns: she/her or they/them