From:
"Essam, Gillian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 09:44:15 +0100
Hello Brenda,

At the National Gallery, London we having been using eMuseum for staff
only on our intranet since we implemented TMS in 2000. We have a
developer licence and a continuing programme of customsation by our IS
Dept in consultation with myself, and other staff.

Information is copied from TMS to eMUseum every hour on the hour, and we
promote eMuseum as the most up-to-date collection-related system, built
to meet the needs of internal Gallery procedures. Even staff who have
direct access to TMS (Registrars, Art Handling etc) can benefit from
eMuseum because it has the potential to provide access to systems other
than TMS e.g. we have used it to integrate Photographic Dept's online
catalogue with the information from TMS.

Our customisations are done mostly in project bursts at intervals of 12
to 18 months. They are too many to list completely but the following
might give you a flavour. They are all documented by IS Dept, who will
be better able to describe the technical aspects of customising eMuseum
than me!

Security, e.g. we devised a way of giving selected users access to
restricted information such as valuation, location and loan history;
also to non-public location names (stores, conservation). This is based
on the users network login, and is independent of TMS security
configuration. However, this may be less useful in future if we widen
direct access to TMS.

Design of pages, e.g. layout and fonts of main catalogue page changed to
reflect our 'standard' concise catalogue entry and to clarify titles
etc. We still have a lot further to go on this.

Added fields, e.g. on main catalogue page we added current location,
curators name, curator approved, short as well as full title,
attribution qualifiers, multiple artist names, group information,
attributes (subject indexing, media module links to documents such as
archived PDFs of the latest display label and bibliographies compiled in
Word.

Suppressed fields e.g. we do not intend to display exhibition module
information until we have reviewed our exhibition processes thoroughly

Changed searching, e.g. we put the two advanced searches on the side bar
so they are always as accessible as the simple search. We removed all
fields from the simple search except artist name, title and object
number. We only allow artist in the advanced person search. We show
artist name as a browsable list in the advanced object search.

Changed search results, e.g. results are always shown initially in list
view, 50 at a time in object number order. The list view shows object
number, artist, title and date in that order, and shows artist names
with attribution qualifiers and concatenated if they are multiple

Added links, e.g. from main catalogue page to Photographic Dept
catalogue and public web site catalogue. From home page to a spreadsheet
listing recent significant changes to attribution and title

This year's planned development of eMuseum is focussed on widening the
types of image provided, and guidance to staff on using them.

I hope this is useful, do contact me with any queries.

Gillian Essam
Collection Information Manager
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square