From:
Deirdre Windsor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:19:47 -0400
Dear Esther,

suggest a hoist system that we developed at the Textile Conservation
Center lab in Lowell, MA at the American Textile History Museum in the
mid-90's.

The hoist bar is an extruded square aluminum tubing measuring 1 3/4" x 4
1/2 x 1/16". This material usually comes up to 24 feet in length, so you
can get it cut to your specifications. It is extremely lightweight in
comparison to wood and does not flex or warp. In the TCC lab, we had a
very sophisticated electronic cable system for raising and lowering in a
level position that operated beautifully. It was installed on the
ceiling of approximately 28' space after construction by a rigging
company specializing in theater work. Two sets of cables hung from the
ceiling so the textile could be either flat against the photography wall
or be out 4 or 5 feet from the wall. Therefore, the hoisted textile
could be accessed from both sides to facilitate attaching a lining or
strapping to a tapestry for example. The cables clipped ed to large eye
hooks bolted to the top edge at each end of the hoist bar. Two-inch
adhesive Velcro is attached along the top edge on one side of the bar (4
1/2 inch side) across the entire length. On the other side of the bar
eye hooks are bolted across the entire length at 10 1/4 inches center to
center to accommodate felt lined wooden pants hangers evenly across the
bar to use when clamping is preferable.

Currently, I use the same materials described with a block and tackle to
hoist the bar by hand. Nylon rope is used to raise and lower it through
a series of two and three track pulleys. It works well once you get a
feeling for the mechanism and how to guide the the cord to keep the
hoist level. One person can operate it easily.

If you want photos of the system, I would be happy to send them to you.

Best regards,

Deirdre Windsor

Windsor Conservation
85 Pine Street