From:
"Loeding, Dominique" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:54:50 +0000
Hello Joanne,

I have examined notes  that belonged to a family of dyers and textile-printers in northern Germany. One of them mentioned finishing silk fabrics with Traganth (Tragant), which gave them a shiny surface.
It is a gum that is collected from several plants belonging to the Astragalus family, Astragalus gummifer L., for example. He used it during the second half of the 19th century.

Greetings from Hamburg!

Dominique Loeding

Altonaer Museum
________________________________