From:
"Aylsworth, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:08:16 -0500
We took exactly the opposite approach here, for better or worse.  Our reasoning came to a belief that we wanted to have a one-to-one relationship between every non-virtual record in TMS to every “countable” object in the collection.  We consider a two-sided drawing to be one object in terms of the collection count, so we kept it as one record in TMS.  The object number will have an “A” and a “B”, to indicate that there are two sides, but we didn’t want to create two separate records and run the chance of someone make a location change for one without doing the same for the other.

I’ll be very curious to see Danielle’s webinar on separable objects.  It could be that once TMS can accommodate the distinction we will change our approach as well.  This will, of course, also increase our object count if we approach it consistently, but it might be more accurate to consider each page in a sketchbook as a countable work of art as well as each side of a double-sided drawing.

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registar

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

tel:  713-639-7824

fax: 713-639-7780

Presenting North Looks South: Building the Latin American Art Collection

on view June 7 – September 27, 2009