Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:10:29 +0000
From:
"Shepherd, Rupert" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear colleagues

For reference, here at the National Gallery (London) we put our attribution qualifiers in the Constituent Xrefs Prefix or Suffix fields, as required (Prefix: 'attributed to, etc.'; Suffix: 'and workshop', etc.) This includes 'after'. The Role is always Artist, and this seems to me to be correct. So here is our entry for NG8<http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/after-michelangelo-the-dream-of-human-life>, a painting after a Michelangelo drawing now in the Courtauld Institute:

[cid:image001.png@01D23BFB.52903BE0]

However, I'm not entirely happy with our current way of working. We have very precise definitions for the different attribution qualifiers (workshop of, studio of, circle of, follower of, style of, imitator of, after - not quite as bad as Beazley on Greek pots, but getting there), and an anonymous artist described as 'circle of X' would not be the same entity as 'follower of X' - the presumed relationship with X is a different one. However, we do need to link to the Constituent record for the main name, and that requirement currently overrides my qualms about semantic exactitude. Something to revisit in the future, perhaps - maybe by using hierarchical constituent-constituent relationships? This would also let us associate known workshop members with their workshops, masters with their pupils, children with their parents, etc.: something I'd quite like to do.

Best wishes

Rupert

Rupert Shepherd, PhD FSA
Collection Information Manager