From:
Amy McKune <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:12:39 -0400
We have recently received a large collection of original illustrations
along with the books that incorporated the illustrations.  Since we
previously had a very small number of illustrations, we do not have any
conventions for cataloguing these works.  If anybody has any experience
with this and insight on the following specific questions, I would
appreciate hearing from you.

1.      If an illustration is for the dust cover, should the title be
the title of the book or should it be untitled (unless a title is listed
in the appraisal)?
2.      Same question for illustrations for the inside pages of the book

3.      I can enter the publication date of the book and note that, but
should I put that date as a circa date into the "date of object" field?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Amy McKune
Director of Museum Collections
Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art
500 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2707
(317) 275-1358
(317) 275-1458 (Fax)