Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kate Blanch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:22:15 -0500
Hello Amber, we have an extensive collection of manuscripts that we catalog using the object module. We create a parent record for the entire book, and child records for each page of interest (not all pages are cataloged or imaged) and a child record for the binding.

See a sample here on our online Work of Art site -- http://art.thewalters.org/viewwoa.aspx?id=76612

The landing page is the main book record, and if you navigate to Related Items you can see Folio Records and a Binding Record.

To aid us in keeping all this straight, here is what our Style Guide for Catalouging Manuscripts says about Medium -

2.2.1 MEDIUM (free-text)

The medium(s) and technique(s) used in the manufacture of the object. Use lower case letters only, unless

a specific exception arises.

Use this structure, unless a specific exception arises: Technique/medium/materials followed by

support/ground/base followed by relevant specifiers like colors/accent materials/additional notations.

However, if the technique is unknown, a simple list of materials is also acceptable.

MARKING MATERIALS [ink, paint, tempera paint, and/or gold leaf] on CONTENT MATERIAL [parchment or

paper] bound between SUPPORT MATERIAL [wooden boards or cardboard] covered with COVER MATERIAL

[velvet, morocco, leather, etc]

For folios and manuscripts where the binding is unknown:

ink, tempera paint and gold leaf on parchment

For folios and manuscripts where the binding is known:

ink and gold leaf on parchment, bound between wooden boards covered with embossed,

red leather

I'd be happy to share the entire style guide with you if you think it would be useful. Also may be useful to note that we use a custom Data Entry Screen for cataloguing manuscripts to allow us to view re-purposed fields. Cataloging this area of our collection within the framework of other objects has been challenging to say the least! Like the other posters...any feedback is welcome.

Kate Blanch

Administrator, Museum Databases

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  / 410.547.9000 ext. 266

The Walters Art Museum

600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201

www.thewalters.org <http://www.thewalters.org>

Poetry and Prayer: Islamic Manuscripts from the Walters Art Museum <http://thewalters.org/eventscalendar/eventdetails.aspx?e=1410>  March 20-June 13, 2010

Japanese Cloisonné Enamels from the Stephen W. Fisher Collection <http://thewalters.org/exhibitions/japanese-cloisonne/>  through June 13, 2010

Beauty and the Brain: A Neural Approach to Aesthetics <http://thewalters.org/eventscalendar/eventdetails.aspx?e=1409>  through April 11, 2010