From:
Allison Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2018 20:36:56 +0000
Hello TMS users,

Most of our collection is by indigenous peoples and we are struggling with TMS capabilities for searching constituents from the Objects Module. We are looking at moving toward using the names people call themselves rather than the colonized names given them because it is more culturally appropriate. However, we understand users search for with all sorts of names. For example if a user searches "Sioux" the results should include all objects associated with Lakota, Dakota, Nakota as well as the communities within those groups such as Oglala, Brule, Blackfeet, etc. as well as the reservations they currently live on.

Does anyone have procedures for entering indigenous names?

We are using TMS2016 R2.

Thank you for your help and ideas. Please feel free to contact me off the listserv.

Allison

Allison Evans
Director of Museum Collections
Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art
500 W. Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46204
Direct: 317-275-1358