From:
"Aylsworth, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:29:35 -0500
Hi Melisa,

We went around and around about this, but finally decided to number the
virtual object with the number of the entire portfolio.  For a portfolio
of ten prints, each print would be numbered 2008.108.1, 2008.108.2, etc.
The virtual object for the entire portfolio is 2008.108.1-.10.

We've even gone a bit further and made virtual object records for the
physical components of a portfolio that are not considered to be art.
So, the portfolio case would be numbered 2008.108.1-.10.A.  The title
page would be 2008.108.1-.10.B, etc.  These virtual records would also
be linked up to the virtual object record for the whole portfolio.

The important thing for us was to be able to have separate records for
each of the pieces, but if we wanted to be able to easily isolate the
ten "art" pieces in a portfolio of ten prints.

We've also gone the other way, and have a big collection of photographs
by Nan Goldin that collectively need to be considered as ONE work of
art.  But we have conservation notes, titles, and separate dimensions
for each photograph.  Rather than make 129 components, we made 129
virtual records, each of which are linked to the main non-virtual object
record.

I hope that makes sense... it screws with my mind on a Friday afternoon,
and I'm responsible for it!

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registar